Due to rising global warming, dehumidifiers are needed for almost every house and office. Their main function is to dehumidify the extra humid rooms, but it has additional benefits.
Many people question: do dehumidifiers help with allergies and asthma? The answer is yes, but here we will explain it in detail to leave no confusion in your mind about buying a unit soon to switch to a healthy lifestyle.
Reasons of Allergies
The first thing that the readers need to learn is the main reasons for getting allergies such as flue, cough, watery eyes, etc. A few of them are mentioned below.
- The first reason for allergy is dust particles in the air. If your air is not clean and has large dust particles, it is very likely to get allergic by breathing in it.
- Infectious insects are also a cause of allergies as they contribute to making your environment dirty.
- Dirty air has almost every allergy, causing molecules that include the allergens. When you continue to breathe in it, your respiratory tract gets attacked by it, and you feel sick, tired, and irritated all the time.
- Mold is another reason for getting allergies and fatal infections. It is very dangerous, and it’s not possible to breathe in it for a long period without being attacked by it.
- Mildew is also the cause of many allergies. It also triggers infectious insects to infest your rooms, resulting in diseases.
- Another reason for getting allergies can be bad odor because you don’t like to breathe in it, and forceful breathing cause disturbance in respiration, which can make you tired and sick.
Reasons for Asthma
Following are a few reasons for asthma.
- The first thing that causes asthma is difficulty breathing. When you live in dirty air that contributes to difficulty breathing, it can trigger asthma.
- Another reason for asthma is continuously breathing in the air with dust mites.
- The large dirty dust particles and allergens in the air can also cause asthma.
- Asthma might be caused due to cockroach waste material. Cockroaches will likely attack your rooms when you have a high humidity level. It looks bad, but it can cause asthma, which is unfortunate.
- If you already have asthma, then it’s not good for you to breathe in a polluted atmosphere, but it can trigger asthmatic episodes that might be fatal if they get severe.
- Mold and mildew also cause asthma if you breathe in their air for a long period. In some cases, if the mold or mildew is in large amounts, it can rapidly cause asthma even if you don’t breathe in it for a long period.
How a Dehumidifier Helps with Allergies and Asthma
High humidity levels cause all the main reasons for allergy and asthma. Extra water in the air makes the conditions favorable for all allergens, dust mites, and infectious insects.
The best and the easiest way to combat all of them is installing a dehumidifier in your rooms. It eliminates extra moisture and keeps the humidity at an optimum level.
Additionally, it makes your air pure to 99%, which makes the atmosphere very comfortable and peaceful to breathe in. This makes the users more active while they work. It also prevents trouble sleeping and provides you with comfortable sleep, as many units come with a sleep mode.
When the humidity level is optimum, there would be no insects, dust mites, allergens, mold, mildew, or a bad odor that can cause asthma or allergies. Many customers reviewed that they stopped having asthmatic episodes after installing the dehumidifier in their rooms.
The following video by Ebac UK also provides the detailed Information about How a Dehumidifier Helps with Allergies and Asthma.
Signs of Allergies and Asthma
Following are the most common signs of allergies. You can analyze yourself and decide on buying a dehumidifier.
- The first sign of allergy is irritation in your respiratory tract.
- If you feel itching, then it can be a sign of an allergy.
- Temperature is also a very common reason.
- Water running from your eyes.
- Redness on nose, face, or eyes.
- Difficulty in breathing is a sign when you have asthma or some severe allergy.
- Feeling of tiredness.
- Cough and flu.
How does the Dehumidifier work?
If you understand the operation of an electronic appliance, it gets easier to handle it. So we would like to explain to her that how a dehumidifier works. It has three types, and each one works on a different operation.
The most common type is a refrigerator dehumidifier. They work as a refrigerator does. The unit takes in the air from your room and passes it through its coils by squeezing water into the water tank or drains directly outside. The air is then passed back to your room without extra water and impurities. It has limited area space, and you can use it in one room.
The second type is a desiccant dehumidifier. It is also for limited walk-in closets, kitchens, bathrooms, and small rooms. It can have large are capacities too, but it cannot be used for more than one room at one time. It has silica beads that absorb the extra water and change its color. It is very easy to maintain as it needs recharging only.
The third type of dehumidifier is a whole-house dehumidifier. They make your whole house free of extra moisture through a single operation. It uses less energy and produces less heat as it works very efficiently.
How to Pick the Best Dehumidifier?
If you have made up your mind about getting a dehumidifier by looking at its benefits, then you must follow the buying guide mentioned below to get the best dehumidifier for you.
The first thing is to know the type of dehumidifier you need. If you want to solve the problem of your whole house, then there is no better option than a whole-house dehumidifier.
If you want it for a room and you are design-conscious, then you should go for a refrigerator as it is usually a modern design and works the best for single rooms.
If low maintenance is your concern, then you should buy a desiccant dehumidifier.
- Pint capacity
It is the daily moisture removal ability of a unit. You can convert it into gallons and decide better. If your humidity is very high and your area is large, then you should go for higher pints above 50.
If you want it for small spaces, then a small pint equal to 20 or 30 can also work the best for you.
- Area capacity
If you want to get a dehumidifier with a compatible area capacity that matches your target area, then you should measure your area before you buy a unit. It will help you to know your need, and you will be able to get a dehumidifier that meets your demands.
- Drainage system
The drainage system should be concerned while buying a dehumidifier. There are two types of dehumidifiers. One is manual, and the other one is automatic.
In a manual drainage system, there is a water tank in which the water is squeezed. When the tank reaches its full capacity, the users need to empty it to continue the process.
In the automatic drainage system, the users need to connect a drain hose to drain the water directly outside without any water tank. It keeps the operation continuous and needs almost no effort from the user once it is set to run.
You can choose between them according to your need. Some of the units have both of them. Do prefer them as you will be easier with them and use any of the systems as per your needs.
- Energy efficiency
Sometimes a dehumidifier can cost you a lot when you use it due to its high energy utility. So, whenever you buy a unit, do check its energy utility. There is a large range of units with energy star certification. You should always prefer them as they use very little energy than the other conventional dehumidifiers.
Cost is another important aspect of every shopping. Your choices unwantedly depend on your budget. So, you should set a budget first and then look for the units in your range and choose that match your needs best.
Dehumidifiers are mainly purposed on extracting the extra moisture from your rooms. High humidity levels can accompany allergens, mold, mildew, infectious insects, dust mites, and other allergy-causing and asthma-triggering germs. A dehumidifier keeps the humidity optimum, which creates unfavorable conditions for all such infectious particles.
In this way, you get an ultra-protection from allergy and asthma, and there is no better way than it. The air gets pure to 99%, and you feel very comfortable while breathing in it. So, a dehumidifier does help with allergies and asthma.
You should follow the buying guide while buying a dehumidifier by looking at its type, pint capacity, area capacity, energy efficiency, and drainage system to get the best unit as per your needs and demands.
We wish you luck with your next dehumidifier.
A Dehumidifier enthusiast, who want to remove humidity from home. It is my hobby to collect Dehumidifier of different kinds and try to live life in comfort. This is all I do to explore happiness by magnifying my beautiful world.