Dehumidifiers are the best solution if you suffer from extra moisture, mold, bad odor, and mildew. It is a user-friendly and cost-friendly electronic appliance to fight against all the impurity in your atmosphere in both office and house.
After knowing that a dehumidifier has numerous advantages, many people ask: will a dehumidifier in the basement help the whole house? If you have the same concern, you don’t have to worry anymore because we will provide you with a detailed answer to sort your confusion.
How Can a Dehumidifier in Basement Help the Whole House?
The answer to your question is yes, a dehumidifier in the basement can help the whole house, but it has certain conditions. The first is that it must be a whole-house dehumidifier.
Not every dehumidifier can work for your whole house by just doing the operation in the basement. You need to choose the whole house as the other dehumidifiers have limited area and pint capacities. They cannot make your whole house free of extra moisture by working in just one place.
So, if you want a single dehumidifier that can work for your whole house by operating singly in the basement, you have just one option of buying a whole-house dehumidifier.
What is a Whole House Dehumidifier?
If you are unknown of the whole house, then read all these details carefully to know how good a whole-house dehumidifier is. It is a single unit with a high pint capacity, and it has the ability to extract all the extra moisture from every corner of your house by its single operation.
It takes the air from every room and squeezes the extra water and impurities into the water tank or the direct drain hose. It then sends back the filtered air into your rooms to provide you with a comfortable, clean, and peaceful atmosphere to live in.
Following are a few advantages of a whole-house dehumidifier that might convince you to get it for your house.
- It works on a single operation and makes your whole house free of any impure or extra humid air.
- You can place it in your basement or crawl area.
- You don’t have to place it in your room and use your space for it.
- It works very efficiently than other units.
- It takes less time to remove the extra water from your whole house.
- It doesn’t need transportation from room to room to make every corner moisture-free.
- It produces less heat than the rest of the dehumidifier types.
- You don’t have to buy separate units for different areas in your house.
- It is almost effort-free as you don’t have to operate or control it over again.
- You can easily sleep in your rooms comfortably as it operates in the basement and there is no annoying noise of the compressor upstairs.
- It uses less energy than the other dehumidifier as it is efficient in its operation and completes its work in less time.
- It needs less maintenance and keeps the users convenient and comfortable.
- It prevents the whole house from getting any mold, mildew, or bad odor.
- You don’t have to keep another unit for your laundry room or walk-in closets as it does protect them too.
- When you have a whole-house dehumidifier at your house, there is almost no chance for the bugs to attack your rooms.
- The users are more carefree and comfortable with a whole-house dehumidifier than any other type of unit.
- It also improves the air quality to 99 %, and you get to breathe incomplete clean and fresh air.
- If you are an asthma patient, then it is the best thing for you as most of the users have reviewed that they stopped having asthmatic episodes after installing a whole-house dehumidifier.
- It is ultra-protection from all allergies, especially dust allergy, as it cleans and filters all the dust.
- It reaches the places where you cannot operate a portable dehumidifier such as corridors, stairs, walk-in closets, and other such corners.
- It is the best way to make your whole house free of mold, moisture, mildew, bad odor, allergens, and infectious insects as it makes the conditions unfavorable for them.
- It has just one disadvantage that it is a little expensive than other types of dehumidifiers.
Two types of dehumidifiers are portable that are mentioned below.
They are portable units that operate by using silica beads. The beads absorb all the moisture from your air and make the air clean. It comes in different sizes, but all of them are portable and can transport from one place to another.
It cannot work for the whole house by its single operation in the basement.
Following are a few advantages of desiccant dehumidifiers.
- It takes less effort as you don’t have to empty a tank or connect a drainage hose with it.
- You can place it anywhere in your rooms, even in your safes.
- It needs recharging, which is almost effortless. You have to plug it into an electrical socket.
- It is very affordable.
- It has a small size and takes very little space than other types of dehumidifiers.
- It is very easy to transport.
- Most of the units have lightweight.
- It has less energy efficiency.
- It has very limited water absorption and cannot work for water-damaged areas.
- It has limited area capacity.
- It cannot help for the whole house.
- Limited adjustment options.
It is the most common type of dehumidifier among its users worldwide. It has the same operation as a refrigerator. It takes the air from your room and filters it back without squeezing the extra water into its water tank or drains directly through the drain hose.
It has limited area capacity, and you cannot use it for your whole house by its single operation in your basement.
Following are a few advantages of a refrigerator dehumidifier.
- It is modern in design, and most of the units match the aesthetics of your interior.
- It has very broad control with adjustable fan speeds and timers.
- It also comes with an automatic shut-off and defrosts that keeps the operation running and protects the machine from damage.
- It is more advanced in its technology.
- It is lightweight, and you can transport it easily.
- Most of the units have wheels to make transportation even easier for you.
- You can choose the drainage options between manual and automatic.
- The automatic drainage is effortless, and the operation runs continuously.
- You can change your unit without thinking a lot as the house dehumidifiers are hard to replace.
- It is affordable with a large range of different prices for different customers.
- It comes with many options to meet the demands of almost every type of customer.
- It has a limited area and pint capacity than the whole house dehumidifier.
- It needs more maintenance.
- It cannot work for your whole house with its single operation.
A dehumidifier in your basement can work for your whole house only if you choose the whole house dehumidifier. It is effortless and better than the other types of dehumidifiers.
It makes you comfortable with its single operation, and you can enjoy filtered air in every corner of your house. Although you have to invest more in it than other types of dehumidifiers, it has long-term benefits. Additionally, it is also energy efficient as it does its work faster.
We wish you luck with your next whole-house dehumidifier.
- Why whole house dehumidifier in the basement is better?
Almost every basement in the house is a place where you don’t have to spend more time, and you don’t attend guests there too. It is more like a storeroom and placing a dehumidifier in it will not bother you at all.
A whole-house dehumidifier will be easily installed in it, and you will be able to enjoy the pure air and protection in your whole house. Moreover, some of the units have large compressors with a lot of noise that can disturb you upstairs, so the best place is to place it in the basement.
- Can you install a portable dehumidifier in the basement that can work for the whole house?
There is no harm in installing a portable dehumidifier in your basement, but keep in mind that it has limited area capacity, making it impossible for it to work for the whole house.
So, you should never expect a portable dehumidifier to work for your whole house as it is against its potentials.
- What is the price range of the whole house dehumidifier?
Whole-house dehumidifiers are expensive than other types of dehumidifiers, and they start above 500 dollars and go up to 1500 to 2000 dollars depending upon their efficiency, features, technology, and warranty.
It will be a long-term and good investment so you should never hesitate to spend a good amount on it. It will save you money after utilizing less energy.
Hi, my name is Fahad. I am the Electrical MEP Design Engineer in Dubai for over Two years now. Fahad is experienced in the HVAC industry, installing, maintaining, troubleshooting malfunctions for all sorts of complex heating/ventilating/air conditioning systems. Fahad started his website to share his past experience and knowledge in the field of humidity control. He has a lot of valuable advice for visitors and writes great articles with lots of information about home humidity control .